This is my first time writing one of these, so forgive me if it’s overly wordy, or perhaps too short! May was rough for a lot of reasons — the entire house got sick, our son suddenly stopped sleeping through the night there for a bit, and we were all extremely tired and grumpy.
Baby boy turned 1 on the 5th, so now we have a one year old (!!!) — maybe that explains the sleep regression? Then, my birthday happened on the 10th, but there wasn’t much of a celebration, because it was a Tuesday, and we have a baby. I’m not complaining at all! I still had a good day, and I adore the present my husband made me — teeny tiny little paper versions of all the books I’ve read so far this year! I can’t wait to get a little glass jar for them so I can see them all better!
And then the shootings happened. We live in Buffalo. I’ve been in that grocery store. That shooting was extremely hard to handle. But every time I hear about Uvalde, I burst into tears. How are we supposed to send our son to school in four years, and trust that he’s going to come back home every night? How has this country done absolutely nothing to prevent mass shootings? How do they continue to do nothing knowing babies are getting shot? How do they sleep at night? My mental health has been in the toilet since Uvalde, and I don’t know what to do about it. Nothing I can do will change anything.
Ugh. On that rather depressing note, onto the wrap-up part of things…
BOOKS I READ IN MAY:
I read NINE books in May, and I have to say, I enjoyed most of them! There were a few clunkers, but not everything can be great, right?
- THE ATLAS SIX — Dark Academia — Intriguing
- IN THE SHADOW OF LIGHTNING ✨ — Seemingly Generic Fantasy — Bizarre
- BOOKED ON A FEELING ✨ — Contemporary Romance — Not so great
- THE BORDER KEEPER — Bizarre Fantasy in Afterlife — Atmospheric
- SECOND SPEAR ✨ — Bizarre Fantasy in Afterlife — Good follow up
- DAUGHTER OF REDWINTER ✨ — Actually Generic Fantasy — Fantastic
- THE DROWNED WOODS ✨ — Fairy-tale/Legend Retelling — New favorite
- DARK NIGHT, GOLDEN DAWN — Paranormal/Fantasy Romance — Disappointing
✨ = ARC
RECOMMENDATION LISTS & SPOTLIGHTS:
I tried out a new post type in May — the Author Spotlight — and it seems like you guys liked it! Let me know if you have suggestions for other authors you’d like to see!
BOOK TAGS I DID:
I love doing these things, so if you’re ever in need of someone to tag, go ahead and tag me! Especially if they have anything to do with fantasy or romance books. I’d love to do those!
AROUND THE BOOK BLOG WORLD:
I love reading other book bloggers’ posts, so here’s a few highlights from the past month!
- Kristin wrote about Choosing a TBR based on the first line.
- Fi wrote about 5 new releases about thieves.
- Fangirlflax wrote about her Regency May
- Dini wrote a fantastic review for The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo
So how’d I do? Was this an okay wrap-up for May?